Marriage Services provided at North London Mosque Trust (Masjid-e-Quba)
North London Mosque Trust – NLMT (Masjid-e-Quba) warmly welcomes and wishes to congratulate prospective couples who wishes to perform their marriage at this Masjid. Since March 2020, due to Covid-19 pandemic/lockdown we had to unfortunately stopped all services, including marriage, provided at the Masjid. Alhamdulillah, with lockdown now almost gone – Insha’Allah, we intend to restart marriage services from September 2021.
NLMT premises are registered as “Authorised Building” by the Home Office for Marriage Registration since 1982. Alhamdulillah, we provide “Marriage Registration & Nikah” services. The marriage services provided at this masjid are in compliance with both “Shariah and English” Law. If you wish to perform your marriage at this masjid, please follow the guidelines below.
2 Procedure to perform Marriage.
Those who wish to perform marriage, should contact one of the NLMT appointed Authorised Persons. They are: –
- Eusoof Dawood AMERAT Mob: 07815 509716; email: <email@example.com>
- Suleman MULLA Mob: 07951 123213; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If they are unable to answer your call, please leave a brief message (text or WhatsApp) detailing the purpose and your contact details. Insha’Allah, they will call you back as soon as they can.
These individuals have been appointed by the Home Office to conduct Marriage Registration at this Masjid. Once you contact them, they will discuss the matter with you, explain the procedures that need to be followed, and agree a date for the Marriage Registration & Nikah to take place at the Masjid.
The Civil Partnerships, Marriages and Deaths (Registration etc) Act 2019 received Royal Assent and came into force on 4 May 2021. The Act introduces a new Schedule System, which also means moving from a paper-based system to registration in an electronic register, known as RON (Registration on Line). From 4 May 2021, the Local Register Office (LRO) have sole responsibility for registering all marriages, both civil and religious, on RON.
Marriage Registration performed at religious premises is a combination of “civil and religious” marriage; hence, it includes both “civil and religious” formalities. In this Masjid, the religious formality includes “Recitation of the Qur’an/Nikah sermon (khutbah) and dua”. The civil formality includes “Words of Declaration, a Contract and signing on the Marriage Schedule”; and it can only be performed by Authorised Persons and in an Authorised Building.
If a couple wants to perform marriage at this Masjid, the couple needs to first give Notice of intention to marry at their Local Registrar Office (LRO), informing them that they would like the marriage registration to take place at “North London Mosque, 70 Cazenove Road, London N16 6AA”. The Notice is given in order to obtain a “Marriage Schedule (MS)” document from the LRO. Where the man and woman live at different Registration Districts, they have to give separate notice in both their respective districts/boroughs. There will be only one “Marriage Schedule” per couple and it will be issued by the Register Office in the district / borough where the ceremony will take place. Do please make your own arrangements to “Collect & Return” the Marriage Schedule to the Register Office, as we are unable to do so.
PS: As it will now include extra trips to Hackney Register Office “to collect & return” Marriage Schedule, it may be much easier & more convenient to perform Marriage Registration at a Local Register Office and Nikah at any local Masjid. Further, as the Registration Ceremony accommodations available at Register Offices are much better than the accommodation available at our Masjid, and other facilities such as videos/photos, etc., are also available at Register Offices; for some people conducting registration at Register Offices will be more suitable as it will meet their needs/expectations.
Upon receiving the Marriage Schedule, please hand it over to us, as we need to check its contents and to conduct the pre-marriage question before the Marriage Ceremony takes place.
After conducting the Marriage Ceremony, please return the duly completed Marriage Schedule to the Hackney Register Office, so that they will register your marriage on RON. Once the information is recorded on RON, you can then apply for and purchase a Marriage Certificate from Local Register Office / General Register Office.
If you require copies of previous Marriage Certificate(s), do please contact the LRO. This is because, we are no longer able to issue Marriage Certificates; as this function now belongs solely to the Local Register Office and the General Register Office.
3 Supplementary Information.
- Marriage Registration service provided at this Masjid, complements the services provided at Local Register Offices; but primarily aim for those who prefer having a simple service within the guidelines of Islamic Shariah. Due to space limitation only up-to 8 people are allowed to attend Marriage Registration ceremony (Bride, Groom, two witnesses and up-to 4 guests).
- The Notice Period is 28 days, however where one or both parties is non-UK national with limited or no immigration status, the Home Office may extend the notice period to 70 days. For further details please contact the Register Office or Home Office. Marriage Registration provides legal protection to both parties. And as the UK law recognises only “Marriage Registration” and it does not recognise “Nikah (Islamic Religious Marriage)”; the interests of both parties can generally only be safeguarded through a Marriage Registration.
- Hence, in this masjid we encourage those who wants to perform Nikah only, to also perform Marriage Registration at the same time. Further, since performing nikah is Sunnah and there is much greater blessing in it, whenever a couple wants to perform Marriage Registration, Nikah ceremony will be performed at the same time; unless the couple has already performed their nikah. NIKAH Ceremony Application form will be provided once a date has been agreed for the Marriage Registration. Please ensure the contents of the Nikah Ceremony Application form are correct, as the information provided will be transferred onto the Nikah Certificate.
- The “Marriage Registration and Nikah” ceremonies are conducted on same day. However, if there is a request to perform them on different days, the Marriage Registration will be performed first – in this case the Marriage Registration will be commenced by stating the value of the mahr (dowry), followed by the nikah sermon, pronouncement of the “words of declaration” and the “words of contract”, signing the “Marriage Schedule” and finally a dua’.
On receiving “Marriage Schedule” from the Local Register Office, please hand it over to the NLMT Authorised Persons, with a duly completed Nikah Application form and fees (£65 for Marriage Registration and £65 for Nikah).
Please note: Video and taking photos inside the Masjid premises or of the “Marriage Registration & Nikah” ceremonies is STRICTLY prohibited; as it is part of the etiquette of this Masjid
Issued By: NLMT Authorised Persons.